NEON AOP-Enabled Synthesis
The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) has partnered with the National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) Airborne Observation Platform (AOP) to create a platform for NEON AOP-enabled S-E synthesis among interdisciplinary scientific teams. This program seeks to focus on the systemic problems that currently limit convergent research that use the highest remote sensing technology to study problems at the interface of ecology, land change science, and social science.
This program will address the following challenges:
- With the increased availability of hyperspectral remote sensing, there needs to be a rapid growth in the number of people who understand data capabilities and workflows.
- The capabilities of hyperspectral and Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) remote sensing must be explored in the context of socio-environmental synthesis that seeks to bring highly quantitative and advanced earth observations to a variety of research disciplines across the natural/biophysical and social sciences.
- Methods for scaling NEON AOP footprints to regional and national scales will be necessary to draw general conclusions from AOP data with limited extent.
We anticipate offering a series of workshops that are free of cost to participants in accordance with SESYNC’s travel policies. Each program will consist of some or all of the following components: lectures, data skills development, and plenary and small group discussions. Workshops will focus on building capacity for interdisciplinary research teams to utilize NEON’s cutting-edge AOP to address S-E problems.
How to Get Involved
- Submit a proposal for a NEON-Enabled Socio-Environmental Synthesis Pursuit by March 30, 2020. See our pursuit page for more details on how to apply.
- Apply to be a participant in an upcoming workshop. Check back Summer 2020 for more information.
- Learn about our most recent workshop People, Land, and Ecosystems: Leveraging NEON for S-E Synthesis.
- Watch presentations from our latest workshop here. The first video is below.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Feb 10, 2020 to Feb 12, 2020
Workshop: People, Land, and Ecosystems: Leveraging NEON for Socio-Environmental Synthesis
"People, Land, and Ecosystems: Leveraging NEON for Socio-Environmental Synthesis" Workshop