Research-in-Action Fellowships are for those who wish to work with SESYNC leadership and staff to learn first-hand how to support and promote interdisciplinary research focused on the environment and social dynamics. Fellows will gain experience in promoting actionable scholarship, facilitating team work, coordinating and linking teams to existing and new networks of researchers, contributing to the SESYNC Pursuit, Workshop, and Postdoctoral Fellowship proposal review process, and developing innovative training and learning opportunities for communities focused on solving socio-environmental problems. Fellows will use their knowledge and skills to help SESYNC advance existing and new research programs, including communicating science to a variety of stakeholders. Fellowships are for one to two years with the potential to advance to a position on the SESYNC leadership team that contributes to our next 5 year vision.
Why SESYNC: SESYNC is dedicated to solving society’s most challenging and complex environmental problems by bringing together social, natural, and computational scientists to increase knowledge on the complex interactions between human and ecological systems. We support interdisciplinary teams of researchers from around the world to work on a research problem at SESYNC for short periods of time (usually 4-5 days), two to three times a year for several years. SESYNC also supports a resident cohort (15-20) of postdoctoral scholars that have very diverse backgrounds. Teams and postdoctoral scholars use the synthesis method for their research – this involves the integration of existing data, theories and models to answer research questions. SESYNC provides extensive support and training to accelerate research by teams and scholars. Additional information on the processes and activities SESYNC uses to accomplish this are in this article http://sesync.us/eg15y and in this video series https://www.sesync.org/about/socio-environmental-research-resources.
- Ph.D. working on natural, social or computational environmental science problems, preferably with at least two years post-PhD experience
- Knowledge of theories and scholarship on social-environmental systems
- Understanding of and interest in challenges associated with inter- or trans-disciplinary team research
- Strong interpersonal skills and interest in working to advance research progress
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
Salary & timing: Commensurate with experience; position can began at any time.
Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis, but for best consideration, apply by June 4, 2018. Please submit the following below as a SINGLE PDF:
- Curriculum vita (no more than 6 pages)
- Names of 3 references we may contact
- Cover letter up to two-pages that:
- Describes applicant qualifications suitable for this fellowship
- Provides evidence of an understanding of interdisciplinary socio-environmental research, the synthesis method, and actionable science
Please direct any questions about this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities and Women Are Encouraged to Apply