The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) is seeking a graduate research assistant (GRA) for the Spring 2021 semester. The GRA will assist SESYNC’s cyberinfrastructure team with data science tasks, primarily involving supporting external working groups and postdoctoral researchers. All tasks can be done remotely.
This person will work with the SESYNC data science team to assist SESYNC research groups with data processing, analysis, and visualization (especially geospatial data). This may involve discussing issues with researchers, debugging their scripts, or writing snippets of example code to get them started on a particular task. Other tasks may include assisting in managing virtual meeting logistics for SESYNC research teams and communicating with teams about data management. Remote participation in weekly cyberinfrastructure team meetings will be expected, with additional meetings as needed to accomplish tasks.
- Experience using R and/or Python for geospatial analysis
- Experience working with remotely-sensed data
- Experience with data analysis and visualization
- Familiarity with git/GitHub/GitLab
- Background in a natural/social/earth science discipline
- Experience using statistical and visualization packages in R and/or Python, including Shiny
- Experience using high-performance computing clusters
- Familiarity with qualitative data analysis and visualization
- Familiarity with Linux
- Familiarity with relational databases and using SQL
Note: Applicants must be current graduate students at the University of Maryland, College Park.
To apply, please submit a single PDF document that includes the following:
- A cover letter that includes your name, current program year, expected graduate date, advisor name, and department and that details your interest in the position and why you are a good candidate for this position.
- Your CV
- A list of 3 references.
All applications must be submitted here: https://apply.sesync.org/proposal/welcome/2020-JOB-03
For best consideration, applications should be submitted by Wednesday, December 16, 2020, at 5 p.m. Eastern Time.
Please direct any questions to Dr. Rachael Blake, Assistant Director for Data Science at SESYNC, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities and Women Are Encouraged to Apply