SESYNC Position Opening – Available Immediately
Communications Team Member
For best consideration apply by October 15, 2021.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.
The University of Maryland’s National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) is seeking a full-time communications associate to assist the Center’s communications team in developing a collection of resources for socio-environmental researchers. This person will play an active role in transforming SESYNC’s learning and research material into web-based resources that include explanatory documents, such as tutorials, guides, and lessons; graphics; and more. Using their writing, editing, and multimedia skills, this person will help to review, package, and update content—including videos—as needed, working closely with SESYNC staff and researchers throughout the process. This person will also engage in organizing, tagging, and managing content on the SESYNC website. The communications associate may be asked to contribute to other communications-related tasks, such as conducting interviews, writing news stories, and posting to social media, as needed.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Position is grant-funded and available for one year with the potential for extension. This is a full-time position with the option to work remotely. Full benefits provided. This position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with acute attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Environmental Science, or other related field
- One year of communications experience at minimum
- Experience with desktop publishing/graphic design
- Ability to carefully proofread and correct materials, follow style guidelines, and format materials to ensure consistency
- Experience in content management systems or other forms of web publishing
- Ability to work independently but also work seamlessly with a team
- Three or more years’ experience
- A strong interest in and understanding of social and/or environmental sciences
- Experience working with Drupal and MySQL databases
Applicants should submit resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and list of three references as a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. The pdf file name should be labeled with the applicant’s last name.